- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Gray Line of Alaska leads summer boat tours (from mid-May to mid-September) along the face of Portage Glacier aboard the 200-passenger Ptarmigan for $79. The view of Portage Lake and the surrounding peaks and hanging glaciers (the high-up glaciers that terminate at the tops of cliffs) is spectacular, especially on a sunny day when the icy-blue hues of the glaciers shine through.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe