- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Independence Mine Review
Gold mining was an early mainstay of the Mat-Su Valley's economy. You can tour the long-dormant Independence Mine on the Hatcher Pass Road, a loop that in summer connects the Parks Highway just north of Willow to the Glenn Highway near Palmer. The road to Independence Mine from the Palmer side was paved in the summer of 2003. The remainder of the roadway to Willow is gravel. In the 1940s as many as 200 workers were employed by the mine. Today it is a 271-acre state park and a cross-country ski area in winter. Only the wooden buildings remain; one of them, the red-roof manager's house, is now used as a visitor center. Guided tours are given on weekdays at 1:30 and 3:30.
- Address: Independence Mine State Historical Park, 19 mi from Glenn Hwy. on Hatcher Pass Rd., Palmer, AK, 99645 | Map It
- Phone: 907/745-3975
- Cost: $5 tours
- Hours: Visitor center early June--Labor Day, daily 11--7; grounds year-round. Guided tours start June 20, daily at 1 and 3. There is a day-use parking fee and a separate tour fee.
- Website: www.dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/indmine.htm
- Location: Palmer
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We have done a fair amount of traveling (often with help from these forums) and so people are always asking us where we are going next. Read more
My husband and I really wanted to get to Alaska this year, but due to scheduling conflicts the only time-frame we could make it work was the last weekend of September through the first week of October. Read more
We are doing a northbound cruise from vancover to seward. Read more