- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Kachemak Bay State Park
Kachemak Bay State Park Review
Across Kachemak Bay from Homer Spit lies 400,000-acre Kachemak Bay State Park, one of the largest coastal parks in America. The park encompasses a line of snowcapped mountains and several large glaciers; the prominent one visible from the spit is called Grewingk Glacier. One of the most popular trails leads 2 mi, ending at the lake in front of Grewingk Glacier. Several state park cabins can be rented for $50-$65 a night, and a number of luxurious private lodges occupy remote coves.
Mako's Water Taxi. Park access is primarily by water taxi from the spit; contact Mako's Water Taxi 907/235-9055. www.makoswatertaxi.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We have done a fair amount of traveling (often with help from these forums) and so people are always asking us where we are going next. Read more
My husband and I really wanted to get to Alaska this year, but due to scheduling conflicts the only time-frame we could make it work was the last weekend of September through the first week of October. Read more
DH and I are thinking of taking a week long trip to Alaska in July. Read more