- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
South Central is the epicenter of Alaska's population and commerce. The Mat-Su Valley, just 15 mi north of Anchorage, is the fastest-growing region in America. South Central is populated for a reason: the entire region is rich with awe-inspiring natural attractions and superb recreational opportunities. Geographical features include four mountain ranges, three national parks, the country's second-largest national forest, and more glaciers, rivers, and lakes than one person could visit in a lifetime.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe