Eastern Arizona Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Outdoor Activities in Eastern Arizona
Hiking: Hikers and mountain bikers of all abilities enjoy the White Mountains' 225 miles of interconnecting loop trails, open to visitors on foot or on nonmotorized wheels. Ranger stations have maps. Allow an hour for each 2 miles of trail, plus an additional hour for every 1,000 feet gained in altitude. Carry water, wear sunscreen, and watch out for poison ivy.
Fishing: Anglers flock to the more than 65 lakes, streams, and reservoirs in the White Mountains. In winter only artificial lures and flies are permitted. An Arizona fishing license is required; on tribal land you'll also need a White Mountain Apache fishing license. Want an easier catch? Some lodges have private lakes stocked with trout.
Golfing: The high country's links draw golfers from all over, and these mountain fairways angle through lush forests and past lakes and springs.
Skiing: The 11,000-foot White Mountains have hilly, wooded landscapes that invite downhill and cross-country skiing adventurers. Greer's nearby Pole Knoll Trail System and surrounding Forest Service roads make for 33 miles of cross-country trails. No matter where you stay in the White Mountains, Sunrise Park Resort is never more than an hour's drive away.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99 -- Phoenix All-Suite Resort w/Waterpark, 40% Off Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
- $85-$110 -- Phoenix: Studio Suite at Golf Resort, 30% Off Legacy Golf Resort
- $29.99 -- Rent a Hyundai Elantra in Phoenix Sixt Rent a Car
- $74-$91 -- Scottsdale Golf Resort incl. Weekends, Save 40% — $74-$91 Orange Tree Golf Resort
- $109 & up -- Downtown Phoenix 4-Diamond Hotel at 40% Off — $109 Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel