- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
At a Glance
- only inner-canyon lodging option
- fabulous canyon views
- remote access limits crowds
- accessible only by foot or mule
- few amenities or means of outside communication
Phantom Ranch Review
In a grove of cottonwood trees on the canyon floor, Phantom Ranch is accessible only to hikers and mule trekkers; there are 40 dormitory beds and 14 beds in cabins, all with shared baths. The wood-and-stone buildings originally made up a hunting camp built in 1922. Additional cabins are reserved for mule riders, who buy their trips as a package. The mess hall-style restaurant, one of the most remote eating establishments in the United States, serves family-style dinners (purchased separately); breakfast and box lunches are also available. Reservations, taken up to 13 months in advance, are a must for services and lodging.
- Address: On canyon floor, at intersection of Bright Angel and Kaibab trails, Grand Canyon National Park, AZ | Map It
- Phone: 303/297-2757; 888/297-2757
- Website: www.grandcanyonlodges.com
- Location: Grand Canyon South Rim
- 4 dormitories and 9 cabins (some cabins with outside showers reserved for mule riders).
- Rate includes some meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $167* & up -- Flights to/from Tucson on American, R/T American Airlines
- $85-$110 -- Phoenix: Studio Suite at Golf Resort, 30% Off Legacy Golf Resort
- $74-$91 -- Scottsdale Golf Resort incl. Weekends, Save 40% Orange Tree Golf Resort
- $29.99 -- Rent a Hyundai Elantra in Phoenix Sixt Rent a Car
- $115 & up -- Downtown Phoenix 4-Diamond Hotel at 40% Off — $115 Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel
My sister and I are flying into New Orleans and driving back west, ending up in Los
Angeles. Read more
· News & Features
For 17 days in 2012, admission to more than 100 of the country's National Parks will be free.... Read more
Planning a family National Park trip this summer?...... Read more
From blazing sunsets to gigantic caverns full of bats, here's where to find the magic of the Southwest...... Read more