- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
At a Glance
- larger rooms here than in older lodgings
- good for families
- affordable dining options
- rooms lack historic charm and cabins as well as rooms in the South Section are quite plain
- tucked away from the rim in the forest
Maswik Lodge Review
Accommodations are far from crowds and noise and nestled in a shady ponderosa pine forest, with options ranging from rustic cabins to more modern motel-style rooms. The lodge, named for a Hopi kachina who is said to guard the canyon, is 0.25 mile from the rim. The cabins are the cheapest option but are available only spring through fall. Rooms in the South Section have the fewest frills and resemble what you'd find at a typical budget chain property (though with wall-mounted fans instead of air-conditioning). The North Section rooms cost nearly twice as much but are larger and have brighter, newer furnishings, air-conditioning, and plenty of extras—refrigerators, coffeemakers, and safes. Families appreciate the pizza pub, a casual spot with a big-screen TV. Kids under 16 stay free.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $140* & up -- Nationwide Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $99 -- Phoenix All-Suite Resort w/Waterpark, 40% Off Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
- $85-$110 -- Phoenix: Studio Suite at Golf Resort, 30% Off Legacy Golf Resort
- $29.99 -- Rent a Hyundai Elantra in Phoenix Sixt Rent a Car
- $74-$91 -- Scottsdale Golf Resort incl. Weekends, Save 40% — $74-$91 Orange Tree Golf Resort
Hello fellow travelers!
We are two women from Denmark, 33 and 36 years old, who are planning a trip to the US, but we could use a bit of help with some of the details.
A bit about us, and our travel preferences: Read more
· News & Features
For 17 days in 2012, admission to more than 100 of the country's National Parks will be free.... Read more
Planning a family National Park trip this summer?...... Read more
From blazing sunsets to gigantic caverns full of bats, here's where to find the magic of the Southwest...... Read more