- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Grand Canyon West
The plateau-dwelling Hualapai ("people of the tall pines") acquired a larger chunk of traditional Pai lands with the creation of their reservation in 1883. Hualapai tribal lands include diverse habitats ranging from rolling grasslands to rugged canyons, and travel from elevations of 1,500 feet at the Colorado River to more than 7,300 feet at Aubrey Cliffs. In recent years, the Hualapai have been attempting to foster tourism on the West Rim—most notably with the spectacular Skywalk, a glass walkway suspended 70 feet over the edge of the canyon rim. Not hampered by the regulations in place at Grand Canyon National Park, Grand Canyon West offers helicopter flights down into the bottom of the canyon, horseback rides to rim viewpoints, and boat trips on the Colorado River.
The Hualapai Reservation encompasses a million acres along 108 miles of the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon. Peach Springs, a 2-hour drive from the West Rim on historic Route 66, is the tribal capital and the location of the Hualapai Lodge. Lodging is available on the rim at Hualapai Ranch. Although increasingly popular, the West Rim is still relatively remote and visited by far fewer people than the South Rim—keep in mind that it's more than 120 miles away from the nearest interstate highways.
Grand Canyon West at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in The West Rim and Havasu Canyon
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $85-$110 -- Phoenix: Studio Suite at Golf Resort, 30% Off Legacy Golf Resort
- $74-$91 -- Scottsdale Golf Resort incl. Weekends, Save 40% Orange Tree Golf Resort
- $115 & up -- Downtown Phoenix 4-Diamond Hotel at 40% Off — $115 Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel
- $99 -- Tucson AAA 4-Diamond Resort incl. Weekends, Save 40% — $99 The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa
- $64 -- Arizona: 4-Star Scottsdale Hotel — $64 Hotwire.com