- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Powerhouse building is a great first stop for visitors. The Kingman Visitor Center (928/753-6106 or 866/427-7866 www.kingmantourism.org), in a converted 1907 electrical plant, has the usual brochures to acquaint you with local attractions. Pick up a walking tour map, which highlights 27 historic sights, including Locomotive Park—home to the 1928 steam locomotive Engine No. 3759.
Inside the visitor center, the Powerhouse Route 66 Museum (928/753-9889 $4 includes admission to the Bonelli House and the Mohave Museum of History and Arts) provides a nostalgic look at the evolution of the famous route that started as a footpath followed by prehistoric Indians and evolved into a length of pavement that reached from Chicago, Illinois, to Santa Monica, California. Memory Lane, also inside the Powerhouse, is a store crammed with kitschy souvenirs.
The first weekend of May each year, the Historic Route 66 Association of Arizona holds the three-day Route 66 Fun Run, a 40-mile drive that attracts classic car buffs. Admission to the Historic Route 66 Museum also includes a visit to the nearby Mohave Museum of History and Arts and the Bonelli House.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book the Quality Inn & Suites 3 Nts in May Fr $88+/Nt Expedia
- Travelodge Lake Havasu in May: $82 & Up Expedia
- $23.99 & up : Midsize rentals in Lake Havasu City Hotwire
- Book 3 Nts in Lake Havasu City this May Fr $60+/Nt — $60 Expedia
- $27.99 & up : Full Size rentals in Lake Havasu City — $28 Hotwire
Hello fellow travelers!
We are two women from Denmark, 33 and 36 years old, who are planning a trip to the US, but we could use a bit of help with some of the details.
A bit about us, and our travel preferences: Read more
· News & Features
Earlier this week, Consumer Reports released their annual study of the best and worst domestic airlines.... Read more
From the steamed cider aromas that hit you in the lobby to the local ingredients served in the restaurant,... Read more
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City.... Read more