There are few places where the span of geologic and human history is as wide or apparent as it is at Petrified Forest National Park. Fossilized trees and countless other fossils date back to the Triassic Period, while a stretch of the famed Route 66 of more modern lore is protected within park boundaries. Ancestors of the Hopi, Zuni, and Navajo left petroglyphs, pottery, and even structures built of petrified wood. Nine park sites are on the National Register of Historic Places; the Painted Desert Inn is one of only 3% of such sites that are further listed as National Historic Landmarks.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $84.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Flagstaff Hotwire
- Book 3-Star Courtyard Flagstaff in Flagstaff Fr $186+/Nt Expedia
- $22.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Flagstaff Hotwire
- Visit Flagstaff for Less: Hotels Fr $70+/Nt — $70 Travelocity
- $20.95 & up : Economy rentals in Flagstaff — $21 Hotwire