- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Heard Museum Review
Pioneer settlers Dwight and Maie Heard built a Spanish colonial-style building on their property to house their collection of Southwestern art. Today the staggering collection includes such exhibits as a Navajo hogan and rooms filled with art, pottery, jewelry, kachinas, and textiles. The Heard also actively supports contemporary Indian artists and displays their work. Their fabulous signature cultural exhibition is "Home: Native People in the Southwest." Annual events include the World Championship Hoop Dance Contest in February and the Guild Indian Fair & Market in March. Children enjoy the interactive art-making exhibits. The museum also has an incredible gift shop with authentic, high-quality goods purchased directly from Native American artists. There's a museum satellite branch in Scottsdale that has rotating exhibits.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $140* & up -- Nationwide Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $99 -- Phoenix All-Suite Resort w/Waterpark, 40% Off Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
- $85-$110 -- Phoenix: Studio Suite at Golf Resort, 30% Off Legacy Golf Resort
- $29.99 -- Rent a Hyundai Elantra in Phoenix Sixt Rent a Car
- $74-$91 -- Scottsdale Golf Resort incl. Weekends, Save 40% — $74-$91 Orange Tree Golf Resort
Hello fellow travelers!
We are two women from Denmark, 33 and 36 years old, who are planning a trip to the US, but we could use a bit of help with some of the details.
A bit about us, and our travel preferences: Read more
· News & Features
Summertime is practically synonymous with road trips.... Read more
A family trip to Hawaii's Big Island would be one filled with outdoor thrills, animal adventures, and... Read more
A babymoon in the Bahamas has one order of business: you must do absolutely nothing.... Read more