- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Casa Grande Ruins National Monument
Casa Grande Ruins National Monument Review
This site, whose original purpose still eludes archaeologists, was unknown to European explorers until Father Kino, a Jesuit missionary, first recorded the site's existence in 1694. The area was set aside as federal land in 1892 and named a national monument in 1918. Although only a few prehistoric sites can be viewed, more than 60 are in the monument area, including the 35-foot-tall—that's four stories—Casa Grande (Big House). The tallest Hohokam building known, Casa Grande was built in the early 14th century and is believed by some to have been an ancient astronomical observatory or a center of government, religion, trade, or education. Allow an hour to explore the site, longer if park rangers are giving a talk or leading a tour. On your way out, cross the parking lot by the covered picnic grounds and climb the platform for a view of a ball court and two platform mounds, said to date from the 1100s.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $140* & up -- Nationwide Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $99 -- Phoenix All-Suite Resort w/Waterpark, 40% Off Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
- $85-$110 -- Phoenix: Studio Suite at Golf Resort, 30% Off Legacy Golf Resort
- $29.99 -- Rent a Hyundai Elantra in Phoenix Sixt Rent a Car
- $74-$91 -- Scottsdale Golf Resort incl. Weekends, Save 40% — $74-$91 Orange Tree Golf Resort
Hello fellow travelers!
We are two women from Denmark, 33 and 36 years old, who are planning a trip to the US, but we could use a bit of help with some of the details.
A bit about us, and our travel preferences: Read more
· News & Features
Summertime is practically synonymous with road trips.... Read more
A family trip to Hawaii's Big Island would be one filled with outdoor thrills, animal adventures, and... Read more
A babymoon in the Bahamas has one order of business: you must do absolutely nothing.... Read more