Rock Climbing in Joshua Tree National Park
With an abundance of weathered igneous boulder outcroppings, Joshua Tree is one of the nation's top winter climbing destinations and offers a full menu of climbing experiences—from bouldering for beginners in the Wonderland of Rocks to multiple-pitch climbs at Echo Rock and Saddle Rock. The best-known climb in the park is Hidden Valley's Sports Challenge Rock. A map inside the Joshua Tree Guide shows locations of selected wilderness and nonwilderness climbs.
Outfitters and Expeditions
Joshua Tree Rock Climbing School. Joshua Tree Rock Climbing School offers several programs, from one-day introductory classes to multiday programs for experienced climbers. The school provides all needed equipment. Beginning classes, offered on most Saturdays and Sundays, are limited to six people age 10 or older. Box 3034, Joshua Tree, CA, 92252. 760/366-4745 or 800/890-4745. www.joshuatreerockclimbing.com. $135 for beginner class.
Vertical Adventures Rock Climbing School. Vertical Adventures Rock Climbing School trains about 1,000 climbers each year in Joshua Tree National Park. Classes meet at a designated location in the park, and all equipment is provided. 800/514-8785. www.verticaladventures.com. $135 for one-day class. Sept.-May.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99-$103 -- California: Palm Springs Resort, 60% Off The Westin Mission Hills Resort & Spa