Lassen Volcanic National Park Feature
Top Reasons to Go to Lassen Volcanic National Park
Hike a volcano: The 2½-mi trek up Lassen Peak rewards you with a spectacular view of far northern California.
Spot a rare bloom: The Lassen Smelowskia, a small white-to-pinkish flower, grows only in Lassen Volcanic National Park, mainly on Lassen Peak.
View volcano varieties: All four types of volcanoes found in the world—shield, plug dome, cinder cone, and composite—are represented in Lassen Volcanic National Park.
Listen to the earth: The park's thumping mudpots and venting fumaroles roil, gurgle, and belch a raucous symphony from beneath the earth's crust.
Escape the crowds: Lassen, in sparsely populated far northern California, is one of the least-visited national parks.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $81 -- Blue Man Group’s New Vegas Show, Reg. $116 Blue Man Group