- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Planning Your Time
Set aside most of a day for the Huntington—in summer, visit the gardens in the morning to avoid the midday heat. Keep in mind that many museums are closed Monday, though the Norton Simon and the Huntington are closed Tuesday.
If you want to see the Descanso Gardens, start early and see them first. Otherwise, get a late-morning or early-afternoon start to see the important architectural sights on this tour, saving Old Pasadena for last since it offers an outstanding evening street scene. Shops and restaurants stay open late in this relatively safe neighborhood, and it's easy to find parking in nearby garages.
A stop at the Gamble House shouldn't take more than an hour, leaving plenty of time for an afternoon visit to the Norton Simon Museum. Unless you're planning on seeing a game or hitting the flea market, you will probably want to skip the Rose Bowl.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $157-$197 -- LA: Suite at 4-Star Hotel w/Rooftop Pool BookIt.com
- $53-$76 -- Anaheim Hotel near Disney w/Breakfast, 70% Off BookIt.com
- $8.56 & up -- Car Rentals across California CarRentals.com
- $165 & up -- The Standard Downtown LA, Save 35% — $165 Expedia
- $189-$209 -- Weekends & Holidays at Beverly Hills Hotel — $189-$209 Residence Inn Beverly Hills