- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Hollywood and Vine
Hollywood and Vine Review
The mere mention of this intersection inspires images of a street corner bustling with movie stars, hopefuls, and moguls arriving on foot or in Duesenbergs and Rolls-Royces. In the old days this was the hub of the radio and movie industry: film stars like Gable and Garbo hustled in and out of their agents' office buildings at these fabled cross streets.
Now that glamour has dimmed the area only comes alive after dark as a place for theater and nightlife. An exception is the Sunday Farmer's Market (8 "AM-"1 pm), which covers several blocks and draws locals from all over the city. Stop by to lunch on some of California's most luscious produce and people-watch.
Even the Red Line Metro station here keeps up the Hollywood theme, with a Wizard of Oz-style yellow brick road and giant movie projectors as well as old film reels whimsically decorating the station.
Pantages Theatre. The Pantages Theatre brings in Broadway shows such as the Lion King, Hairspray, and a production of Wicked unique to L.A. 6233 Hollywood Blvd., Los Angeles, CA, 90028.
Music Box @ Fonda Theatre. Across the street is the opulent Music Box Fonda Theatre, built in the 1920s with an open-air palazzo. Pop-music concerts and small theater productions are both put on here. 6126 Hollywood Blvd., Los Angeles, CA, 90028. www.henryfondatheater.com.
Avalon Theater. Just north on Vine, the Avalon Theater hosts rock concerts and dance nights in the space where the 1950s TV show This Is Your Life was recorded. 1735 N. Vine St., Los Angeles, CA, 90028. www.avalonhollywood.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $110 & up -- San Diego: Gaslamp Quarter Hotel, Save $150 Expedia
- $165 & up -- The Standard Downtown LA, Save 35% Expedia
- $8.87 & up -- Car Rentals across California CarRentals.com
- $189-$209 -- Weekends & Holidays at Beverly Hills Hotel — $189-$209 Residence Inn Beverly Hills
- $116 -- Los Angeles: 4-Star Hollywood Hotel — $116 Hotwire.com
Just thought I'd post our trip report from this past weekend at the Big Sur Marathon. Read more
I’m just going to state the nitty-gritty to keep this post short. Read more
We will both be 22 years old by the time we fly out and have recently completed university. We are coming over to the USA to experience the big cities, the bars, the beaches, the culture Read more
· News & Features
Worried about your rights as a cruise ship passenger?... Read more
They say that if you put it in a tortilla, Los Angeles will eat it.... Read more
Often just a side trip from Hong Kong, Macau is known as a gambler's paradise.... Read more