- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Although the community has grown quickly through the years and its population quadruples with tourists on weekends and in summer, Carmel-by-the-Sea, commonly referred to as Carmel, retains its identity as a quaint village. Self-consciously charming, the town is populated by many celebrities, major and minor, and has its share of quirky ordinances. For instance, women wearing high heels do not have the right to pursue legal action if they trip and fall on the cobblestone streets, and drivers who hit a tree and leave the scene are charged with hit-and-run.
Buildings have no street numbers (street names are written on discreet white posts) and consequently no mail delivery (if you want to see the locals, go to the post office). Artists started this community, and their legacy is evident in the numerous galleries.
Carmel-by-the-Sea at a Glance
Elsewhere in Monterey Bay
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book in Monterey Fr $179+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $70/night less
- Monterey Savings! Book at La Quinta Inn Monterey Fr $161+/Nt Expedia
- $14.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Monterey Hotwire
- Explore Monterey For Less! Book Fr $274+/Nt — $274 Save with Hotels.com, $24/night less
- $12.95 & up : Compact rentals in Monterey — $13 Hotwire