Monterey Bay Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
O'Neill: A Santa Cruz Icon
O'Neill wet suits and beachwear weren't exactly born in Santa Cruz, but as far as most of the world is concerned, the O'Neill brand is synonymous with Santa Cruz and surfing legend.
The O'Neill wet-suit story began in 1952, when Jack O'Neill and his brother Robert opened their first Surf Shop in a garage across from San Francisco's Ocean Beach. While shaping balsa surfboards and selling accessories, the O'Neills experimented with solutions to a common surfer problem: frigid waters. Tired of being forced back to shore, blue-lipped and shivering, after just 20 or 30 minutes riding the waves, they played with various materials and eventually designed a neoprene vest.
In 1959 Jack moved his Surf Shop 90 miles south to Cowell Beach in Santa Cruz. It quickly became a popular surf hangout, and O'Neill's new wet suits began to sell like hotcakes. In the early 1960s the company opened a warehouse for manufacturing on a larger scale. Santa Cruz soon became a major surf city, attracting wave-riders to prime breaks at Steamer Lane, Pleasure Point, and The Hook. In 1965 O'Neill pioneered the first wet-suit boots, and in 1971 Jack's son invented the surf leash. By 1980, O'Neill stood at the top of the world wet-suit market.
O'Neill operates two flagship stores, one downtown and one close to Jack O'Neill's home on Pleasure Point, along with a smaller outlet on the Santa Cruz Wharf. Sporting stores all over town also carry the line (it's everywhere). www.oneill.com
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $97.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Monterey Hotwire
- 3.5-Star Casa Munras & Spa Fr $159+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $30/night less
- $14.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Monterey Hotwire
- $138.00 & up : 4-star hotels in Monterey — $138 Hotwire
- $12.95 & up : Compact rentals in Monterey — $13 Hotwire