- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sonoma ValleyView Map
Although the Sonoma Valley may not have quite the cachet of the neighboring Napa Valley, wineries here entice with their unpretentious attitude and smaller crowds. The Napa-style glitzy tasting rooms with enormous gift shops and $25 tasting fees are the exception here. Sonoma's landscape seduces, too, its roads gently climbing and descending on their way to wineries hidden from the road by trees.
The scenic valley, bounded by the Mayacamas Mountains on the east and Sonoma Mountain on the west, extends north from San Pablo Bay nearly 20 mi to the eastern outskirts of Santa Rosa. The varied terrain, soils, and climate (cooler in the south because of the bay influence and hotter toward the north) allow grape growers to raise cool-weather varietals such as chardonnay and pinot noir as well as merlot, cabernet sauvignon, and other heat-seeking vines. The valley is home to dozens of wineries, many of them on or near Route 12, which runs the length of the valley.
Sonoma Valley at a Glance
- Arrowood Vineyards & Winery
- Bartholomew Park Winery
- Benziger Family Winery
- Buena Vista Winery
- Cline Cellars
- De Loach Vineyards
- Deerfield Ranch Winery
- Figone's Olive Oil Co.
Elsewhere in Napa and Sonoma
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $83.00 & up : 4-star hotels in Santa Rosa Hotwire
- Book 3 Nts in Santa Rosa this May Fr $205+/Nt Expedia
- $31.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Santa Rosa Hotwire
- $99.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Santa Rosa — $99 Hotwire
- $36.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Santa Rosa — $37 Hotwire