- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Founded in the early 1800s, Sonoma is the oldest town in the Wine Country, and one of the few where you can find some attractions not related to food and wine. The central Sonoma Plaza dates from the Mission era; surrounding it are 19th-century adobes, atmospheric hotels, and the swooping marquee of the 1930s Sebastiani Theatre. On summer days the plaza is a hive of activity, with children blowing off steam in the playground while their folks stock up on picnic supplies and browse the boutiques surrounding the square.
On your way into town from the south, you pass through the Carneros wine district, which straddles the southern sections of Sonoma and Napa counties.
Sonoma at a Glance
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Visit Santa Rosa for Less: Hotels Fr $67+/Nt Travelocity
- Book 3 Nts in Santa Rosa this May Fr $104+/Nt Save with Expedia, $7/night less
- $31.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Santa Rosa Hotwire
- Look no Further! Santa Rosa Hotels Fr $152+/Nt — $152 Travelocity
- $36.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Santa Rosa — $37 Hotwire