- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
In its heyday, Woodland was among California's wealthiest cities. Established by gold seekers and entrepreneurs, it later became an agricultural gold mine. The legacy of the old land barons can be seen in the restored Victorian and Craftsman architecture downtown; the best examples can be found south of Main Street on College, Elm, 1st, and 2nd streets. Budget cuts have led to extremely reduced hours for the Yolo Historical Museum (www.gibsonhouse.org) and the 1896 Woodland Opera House (www.woodlandoperahouse.org), so the town's undisputed top attraction is the delightful Heidrick Ag History Center.
Woodland at a Glance
Elsewhere in Sacramento and the Gold Country
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $140* & up -- Nationwide Flights on American, R/T American Airlines