Shopping in San Diego
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
San Diego Shopping
San Diego's retail venues are as diverse as the city's vibrant neighborhoods. From La Jolla's tony boutiques to the outlet malls at San Ysidro, you'll find stores that appeal to every taste and budget. Enjoy near-perfect weather year-round as you explore shops along the scenic waterfront. Whether you're on a mission to find the perfect souvenir, or browsing for a sharp outfit to wear out on the town, you'll find much to offer in every area of the city.
Into kitschy gifts and souvenirs? Downtown's Seaport Village has an abundance of quirky shops that won't disappoint, plus you'll be able to enjoy the coastal breezes while you shop for that Coronado Bridge snow globe.
The Gaslamp Quarter, downtown's trendy hot spot, is where you'll find independent shops selling urban apparel, unique home decor items, and vintage treasures. If you can't find it in the boutiques, head for Westfield Horton Plaza, the downtown mall with more than 130 stores and 26 eateries. Nearby, Little Italy is the place to find contemporary art, clothing from local designers, and home decor items.
Old Town is a must for pottery, ceramics, jewelry, and handcrafted baskets. Uptown is known for its mélange of funky bookstores, offbeat gift shops, and nostalgic collectibles, and the beach towns have the best swimwear and sandals. La Jolla's chic boutiques offer a more intimate shopping experience along with some of the classiest clothes, jewelry, and shoes in the county.
Trendsetters will have no trouble finding must-have handbags and designer apparel at the world-class Fashion Valley mall in Mission Valley, a haven for luxury brands such as Hermès, Jimmy Choo, and Carolina Herrera.
Most malls have free parking in a lot or garage, and parking is not usually a problem. Westfield Horton Plaza and some of the shops in the Gaslamp Quarter offer validated parking or valet parking.
Browse San Diego Shopping
- Antiques / Collectibles
- Art Galleries
- Books / Stationery
- Ceramics / Glassware
- Food / Candy
- Gifts / Souvenirs
- Household Items / Furniture
- Jewelry / Accessories
- Local Specialties
- Outlets / Discount Stores
- Perfume / Cosmetics
Browse San Diego Shopping By Location
- Balboa Park
- Del Mar
- East Village
- Gaslamp Quarter
- La Jolla
- Little Italy
- Mission Bay
- Mission Beach
- Mission Hills
- Mission Valley
- North Park
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $61 & up -- Anaheim Resort near Disney, Kids Stay Free BookIt.com
- $63-$89 -- Anaheim Hotel near Disney w/Breakfast, 70% Off BookIt.com
- $8.87 & up -- Car Rentals across California CarRentals.com
- $154 & up -- San Diego 4-Star Waterfront Resort, 40% Off — $154 BookIt.com
- $110 & up -- San Diego: Gaslamp Quarter Hotel, Save $150 — $110 Expedia