- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
In the 1860s tourists began flocking to this dusty ranching outpost to "take the cure" in a luxurious bathhouse fed by underground mineral hot springs. An Old West town, complete with opera house, emerged, and grand Victorian homes went up, followed in the 20th century by Craftsman bungalows. A 2003 earthquake demolished or weakened several beloved downtown buildings, but historically faithful reconstruction has helped the district retain its character.
More than 200 wineries and more than 26,000 vineyard acres pepper the wooded hills of Paso Robles west of U.S. 101 and blanket the flatter, more open land on the east side. The region's brutally hot summer days and cool nights yield stellar grapes that make noteworthy wines, particularly robust reds such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Zinfandel, and Rhône varietals such as Syrah. Exquisite whites also come out of Paso, including Chardonnay and Rhône varietals such as Viognier. Small-town friendliness prevails at most wineries, especially smaller ones, which tend to treat visitors like neighbors. Pick up a regional wine-touring map at lodgings, wineries, and attractions around town. Most tasting rooms close at 5 pm; many charge a small fee.
But more attracts people to the Paso Robles area than fine wine and fancy tasting rooms. Golfers play the four local courses and spandex-clad bicyclists race along the winding back roads. Down-home and upmarket restaurants, bars, antiques stores, and little shops fill the streets around oak-shaded City Park, where special events of all kinds—custom car shows, an olive festival, Friday-night summer concerts—take place on many weekends. Despite its increasing sophistication, Paso (as the locals call it) more or less remains cowboy country. Each year in late July and early August, the city throws the two-week California Mid-State Fair, complete with livestock auctions, carnival rides, and corn dogs.
Paso Robles at a Glance
- Eberle Winery
- Firestone Walker Brewing Company
- Justin Vineyards & Winery
- Paso Robles Pioneer Museum
- Paso Robles Wine Festival
Elsewhere in Santa Barbara and the Central Coast
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Visit Santa Barbara for Less: Hotels Fr $94+/Nt Travelocity
- Save in Santa Barbara: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $168+/Nt Expedia
- Dream Deal: BEST WESTERN PLUS Pepper Tree Inn 4 Nts + Air Fr $703 Expedia
- $13.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Santa Barbara Hotwire
- Visit Santa Barbara for Less: Hotels Fr $179+/Nt — $179 Travelocity