Cross-Country Skiing in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
For a one-of-a-kind experience, cut through the groves of mammoth sequoias in Giant Forest. Some of the Crescent Meadow trails are suitable for skiing as well. None of the trails is groomed. You can park at Giant Forest. Note that roads can be precarious in bad weather. Some advanced trails begin at Wolverton.
Pear Lake Ski Hut. Primitive lodging is available at this backcountry hut, reached by a steep and extremely difficult 7-mile trail from Wolverton. Only expert skiers should attempt this trek. Space is limited; make reservations well in advance. Trailhead at end of Wolverton Rd., 1½ mi northeast off Generals Hwy. (Rte. 198), Sequoia National Park, CA, 93262. 559/565-3759. $38. Mid-Dec.-mid-Apr.
Wuksachi Lodge. Rent skis here. Depending on snowfall amounts, instruction may also be available. Reservations are recommended. Marked trails cut through Giant Forest, just 5 miles south of the lodge. Off Generals Hwy. (Rte. 198), 2 mi north of Lodgepole, Sequoia National Park, CA, 93262. 559/565-4070. $23-$30 ski rental. Nov.-May (unless no snow), daily 9-4.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $78.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Visalia Hotwire
- 3.5-Star Marriott Visalia Fr $159+/Nt Hotels.com
- $110.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Visalia — $110 Hotwire
- Comfort Suites in May: $111 & Up — $111 Expedia
- 3-Star Holiday Inn Visalia & Conf Center Fr $113+/Nt — $113 Hotels.com