- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Founded in 1877 as a Southern Pacific Railroad stop, Hanford had one of California's largest Chinatowns—the Chinese came to help build the railroads and stayed on to farm. If you arrive on a typically laid-back Hanford day, it might be hard to imagine the fatal skirmish that took place in 1880 between local settlers and railroad law agents over land titles. Known as the Mussel Slough Tragedy, the incident inspired Frank Norris's best seller The Octopus.
You can take a self-guided walking tour of Hanford with the help of a free brochure from its visitor agency, which also books driving tours ($85 per hour) in a restored 1930 Studebaker fire truck. One tour explores the restored buildings of Courthouse Square, whose art-deco Hanford Auditorium is a visual standout; another heads to narrow China Alley.
Hanford at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Central Valley
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- May deal: Rodeway Inn Fresno Fr $51+/Nt Expedia
- Stockton Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $64+/Nt Expedia
- Up to 12% OFF on Fresno 7 Nts Htl + Air Fr $850 Travelocity
- $13.95 & up : Compact rentals in Fresno Hotwire
- May deal: La Quinta Inn & Suites Fresno Riverpark Fr $159+/Nt — $159 Expedia