The Far North Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
Mother Nature's wonders: California's Far North has more rivers, streams, lakes, forests, and mountains than you'll ever have time to explore.
Rock and roll: With two volcanoes to entice you—Lassen and Shasta—you can learn firsthand what happens when a mountain blows its top.
Fantastic fishing: Whether you like casting from a riverbank or letting your line bob beside a boat, you'll find fabulous fishing in all the northern counties.
Cool hops: On a hot day there's nothing quite as inviting as a visit to Chico's world-famous Sierra Nevada Brewery. Take the tour and then savor a chilled glass on tap at the adjacent brewpub.
Shasta: Wonderful in all its forms: lake, dam, river, mountain, forest, and town.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book in Redding: Save at the Red Lion Redding in May Fr $134+/Nt Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Redding Fr $131+/Nt Expedia
- $30.00 & up : Compact rentals in Redding Hotwire
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Redding Fr $143+/Nt — $143 Expedia
- $40.00 & up : Full Size rentals in Redding — $40 Hotwire