The Mojave Desert Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
Nostalgia: Old neon signs, historic motels, and restored (or neglected but still striking) Harvey House rail stations abound across this desert landscape. Don't miss the classic eateries along the way, including Bagdad Cafe in Newberry Springs, Emma Jean's Holland Burger Cafe in Victorville, and Summit Inn on the Cajon Pass.
Death Valley wonders: Visit this distinctive landscape to tour some of the most varied desert terrain in the world
Great ghost towns: California's gold rush brought miners to the Mojave, and the towns they left behind have their own unique charms.
Cool down in Sierra country: Head up gorgeous U.S. 395 toward Bishop to visit the High Sierra, home to majestic Mt. Whitney.
Explore ancient history: The Mojave Desert is replete with rare petroglyphs, some dating back almost 16,000 years.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $29.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Inyokern Hotwire
- $22.95 & up : Compact rentals in Inyokern — $23 Hotwire
- $23.95 & up : Economy rentals in Inyokern — $24 Hotwire