The South Coast and Catalina Island Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to the South Coast and Catalina Island
Catalina Island: Just a short hydrofoil away, Catalina Island feels a thousand miles away from the rest of the state of California. Wander around charming Avalon, or explore the unspoiled beauty of the island's wild interior.
Newport Beach: Water enthusiasts delight in this sophisticated coastal town's endless yachting and boating options.
Huntington Beach: With more than 50 annual surf competitions, there's always lots of sporty oceanfront action.
Laguna Beach: Come here for SoCal's best stretches of beach, posh resorts, and quirky art scene.
Mission San Juan Capistrano: Like many of the missions throughout the state, this one offers a fascinating glimpse into California's rich history.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $140* & up -- Nationwide Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $294 -- LA Oceanfront Hotel near Santa Monica Pier, 40% Off BookIt.com
- $189-$209 -- Weekends & Holidays at Beverly Hills Hotel Residence Inn Beverly Hills
- $113 -- Los Angeles: 4-Star Hollywood Hotel — $113 Hotwire.com
- $106 -- 4-Star Los Angeles Downtown Hotel — $106 Hotwire.com