The Southern Sierra Feature
Top Reasons to Go
Strap 'em on: Whether you walk the paved loops in the national parks or head off the beaten path into the backcountry, a hike through groves and meadows or alongside streams and waterfalls will allow you to see, smell, and feel nature up close.
Down you go: Famous for its incredible snowpack—some of the deepest in the North American continent—the Sierra Nevada has something for every winter-sports fan.
Live it up: Mammoth Lakes is eastern California's most exciting resort area.
Pamper yourself: Tucked in the hills south of Oakhurst, the elegant Château du Sureau will make you feel as if you've stepped into a fairy tale.
Go with the flow: Three Rivers, the gateway to Sequoia National Park, is the launching pad for white-water trips down the Kaweah River.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $56.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Fresno Hotwire
- Fresno Savings! Book at La Quinta Inn Fresno Yosemite Fr $76+/Nt Expedia
- Days Inn Fresno Central Biggest Sale! 1 Nts + Air Fr $358 Travelocity
- $16.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Fresno Hotwire
- Visit Fresno for Less: Hotels Fr $89+/Nt — $89 Travelocity