The transition between the Central Valley and the rugged Southern Sierra may be the most dramatic in California sightseeing; as you head into the mountains, your temptation to stop the car and gawk will increase with every foot gained in elevation. Although you should spend most of your time here in the national parks be sure to check out some of the mountain towns on the parks' fringes—in addition to being great places to stock up on supplies, they have worthy attractions, restaurants, and lodging options.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book in Fresno: Save this May Fr $75+/Nt Expedia
- Fresno Savings! Book at Rodeway Inn Fresno Fr $51+/Nt Expedia
- Save on Your Vacation: 3 Nts Piccadilly Inn Express + Air Fr $493 Travelocity
- $14.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Fresno Hotwire
- Special deal: 3-Star SpringHill Suites Fresno Fr $124+/Nt — $124 Expedia