When to Go
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
When to Go
During extremely busy periods—like the 4th of July—you may experience delays at the entrance gates. For less crowds, visit midweek. Or come mid-April through Memorial Day or mid-September through October, when the park is only a bit busy and the days are usually sunny and clear.
Summer rainfall is rare. In winter, heavy snows occasionally cause road closures, and tire chains or four-wheel drive may be required on the roads that remain open. The road to Glacier Point beyond the turnoff for Badger Pass is closed after the first major snowfall; Tioga Road is closed from late October through May or mid-June. Mariposa Grove Road is typically closed for a shorter period in winter.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Small budget: Stay in Fresno this May Fr $123+/Nt Expedia
- Look no Further! Fresno Hotels Fr $114+/Nt Travelocity
- Days Inn Fresno Central Biggest Sale! 1 Nts + Air Fr $358 Travelocity
- $12.95 & up : Economy rentals in Fresno Hotwire
- May deal: Comfort Suites Fresno RiverPark Fr $112+/Nt — $112 Expedia