- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Glenwood Canyon Bike Path. Though it's a shame that I-70 heads through the spectacular depths of Glenwood Canyon, the busy corridor has opened up this gorge to biking. The Glenwood Canyon Bike Path, a concrete path sandwiched between the Colorado River and the freeway traffic, runs about 35 mi from Dotsero east to Glenwood Springs. The path generally runs below, and out of sight of the interstate, and the roar of the river drowns out the sound of traffic. Because of the mild climate on Colorado's Western Slope, the trail can be ridden almost year-round. The concrete path also has several dirt spurs that head up into White River National Forest for hikers and mountain bikers. A choice ride is the 18-mi round-trip from Glenwood Springs east up to the trailhead at Hanging Lake, where you can leave your bike and hike a steep mile (climbing 900 feet) to the beautiful lake. Horseshoe Bend, 2 mi from the Vapor Caves, is a perfect picnic spot, since the highway ducks out of sight into a series of tunnels. Trailhead: enter path from either Hot Springs Vapor Caves in Glenwood Springs or farther west on I-70 at Grizzly Creek rest area., Glenwood Springs, CO, 81601.
Sunlight Ski and Bike Shop. Sunlight Ski and Bike Shop rents mountain and comfort bikes; $7 per hour, $18 for four hours, or $22 for the day. 309 9th St., Glenwood Springs, CO, 81601. 970/945-9425.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $8.70 & up -- Car Rentals across Colorado CarRentals.com