Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park Travel Guide
Fodor's Arizona & the Grand Canyon 2013
The Black Canyon of the Gunnison River is one of Colorado's, and indeed the West's, most awe-inspiring places. A vivid testament to the powers of erosion, the canyon is roughly 2,000 feet deep. At its narrowest point, it spans 1,000 feet at the rim and only 40 feet at the bottom. The steep angles of the cliffs make it difficult for sunlight to fully break through during much of the day, and ever-present shadows blanket the canyon walls, leaving some places in almost perpetual darkness. No wonder it's called the "Black Canyon."
Black Canyon is devoid of hotels. Smaller hotels, some excellent B&Bs, and rustic lodges are nearby, as are a few of the larger chains. ...read more
The park itself has no eateries, but nearby towns have choices ranging from traditional American to an eclectic café and bakery. ...read more
Things To Do in Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $119 & Up: Cheap Gunnison Stay Hotels.com
- Small budget: Stay in Gunnison this May Fr $81+/Nt Expedia
- $35.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Gunnison Hotwire
- $158 & Up: Cheap Gunnison Stay — $158 Save with Hotels.com, $66/night less
- $34.95 & up : Compact rentals in Gunnison — $35 Hotwire
Sheer of heights: Play it safe, but edge as close to the canyon rim as you dare and peer over into an abyss that's more than 2,700 feet deep in... Read more
The Gunnison Country, by Duane Vandenbusche, is almost 500 pages of historical photographs and essays on the park.... Read more
You may spot peregrine falcons nesting in May and June, or other birds of prey such as red-tailed hawks, Cooper's hawks, and golden eagles circling... Read more
Whether as an ending to a South American tour or as a trip of solely outdoor adventures, Patagonia calls ... Read more
The Swiss city of Basel is getting ready to host to the who's who of the art world yet again, with the... Read more
Do you suffer from Vacation Deprivation?... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
· Travel Planner
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We took a trip West. Read more
Haven't posted here in awhile, but felt the need to repay the research I found on Fodor's for this trip!
I was searching for a spring break skiing destination for me & my 11 y.o. - needed sufficie Read more
We are taking a family trip in June with our boys ages 10 and 12. Read more