Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park Feature
Top Reasons to Go to Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
Sheer of heights: Play it safe, but edge as close to the canyon rim as you dare and peer over into an abyss that's more than 2,700 feet deep in some places.
Rapids transit: Experienced paddlers can tackle Class-V rapids and 50°F water with the occasional portage past untamable sections of the Gunnison River.
Fine fishing: Fish the rare Gold Medal Waters of the Gunnison. Of the 9,000 mi of trout streams in Colorado, only 168 mi have this "gold medal" distinction.
Triple-park action: Check out Curecanti National Recreation Area and Gunnison Gorge National Conservation Area, which bookend Black Canyon.
Cliff-hangers: Watch experts climb the Painted Wall—Colorado's tallest vertical wall at 2,250 feet—and other challenging rock faces.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $101.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Gunnison Hotwire
- Book in Gunnison Fr $158+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $66/night less
- $30.95 & up : Economy rentals in Gunnison Hotwire
- May deal: Comfort Inn Fr $123+/Nt — $123 Expedia
- $31.95 & up : Compact rentals in Gunnison — $32 Hotwire