- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
State Forest State Park
State Forest State Park Review
Rugged peaks, thick forests, and burbling streams make up this 70,768-acre park. Here you can fish for trout, boat the azure alpine lakes, ride horseback, hike or mountain bike, and explore a few four-wheel-drive roads with views of the 12,000-foot Medicine Bow and Never Summer mountain ranges. Yurts and camping are available in winter, so you can explore the 70 mi of groomed snowmobiling trails or the 50 mi of groomed and signed cross-country skiing and snowshoeing trails.
Red Feather Guides and Outfitters. Red Feather Guides and Outfitters arranges guided fly-fishing and horseback-riding trips. It's in Walden, a few miles west of the park. 49794 Hwy. 14, 80480. 970/723-4204 or 970/524-5054. www.redfeatherguides.com.
Never Summer Nordic. Never Summer Nordic rents the yurts in the state park to hikers and mountain bikers (as well as snowshoers and backcountry or cross-country skiers) for hut-to-hut trips year-round. They also offer half-day, full-day, and overnight guided trips into the park. 247 County Rd. 41, 80480. 970/723-4070. www.neversummernordic.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $95.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Boulder Hotwire
- Save at 3-Star Residence Inn Boulder: $235 & Up in May Expedia
- Boulder Savings! Book at Boulder Mountain Lodge Fr $104+/Nt — $104 Expedia
- Book 3 Nts in Boulder this May Fr $216+/Nt — $216 Expedia
- Book the Days Inn Boulder 3 Nts in May Fr $104+/Nt — $104 Expedia
We took a trip West. Read more
Haven't posted here in awhile, but felt the need to repay the research I found on Fodor's for this trip!
I was searching for a spring break skiing destination for me & my 11 y.o. - needed sufficie Read more
Four of us are planning a backpacking trip in the Lost Creek Wilderness second week of June. Read more
· News & Features
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more