- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Outside of Denver, Boulder and Fort Collins are the two biggest and most prominent cities of the region. Between these two energetic university towns you'll find the sprawling cities of Loveland and Longmont and a few former coal-mining towns with homey, small-town character (like Marshall, Louisville, Lafayette, and Erie). To the west are the proud, independent mountain hamlets of Lyons, Nederland, Ward, and Jamestown. Beyond the high peaks are broad valleys dotted with unpretentious ranching communities like Granby and Kremmling, and right in the middle of it all is the area's crown jewel, Rocky Mountain National Park with its two gateways, Grand Lake and Estes Park.
Boulder. Boulder is the region in a nutshell. Every conceivable trend in food, alternative health care, education, and personal style has come through town, and yet the place still feels wild. Boulder is also very much a college town—the University of Colorado at Boulder is here.
Boulder Side Trips. Nederland, Niwot, and Lyons are easy to explore from Boulder—all can be reached in under an hour. Each is known for its natural beauty, historic character, and funky atmosphere.
Estes Park. The Eastern gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park, resort town Estes Park is nestled against Roosevelt National Forest on its other three sides.
Grand County. West of the Rocky Mountain National Park, guest ranches and golf courses dot the land. In Grand Lake, waterskiing, sailing, canoeing, ice fishing, and snowmobiling dominate the scene.
Fort Collins. Famous for its own college, as well as its open spaces and its beer—Fort Collins also has a rich history and vibrant cultural scene.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- May deal: BEST WESTERN PLUS Boulder Inn Fr $196+/Nt Expedia
- $96.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Boulder Hotwire
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Boulder in May: $202 & Up — $202 Expedia
- Save in Boulder: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $185+/Nt — $185 Expedia
- Boulder Savings! Book at Rodeway Inn & Suites Fr $81+/Nt — $81 Save with Expedia, $12/night less