Bicycling in Great Sand Dunes National Park
While the park is a good choice for hikers and overnight campers, it's not for mountain bikers or other cyclists; bikes aren't permitted off road anywhere in the park, and the unpaved roads and trails are too sandy for even the fattest tires (trails in designated wilderness areas are also off-limits). Your best bet for mountain biking in the area is Penitente Canyon (about 18 mi north of Monte Vista) or the Zapata Loops at the Zapata Falls Recreation Area, which is nine mi south of the park. Both are Bureau of Land Management (BLM) areas.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Alamosa Savings! Book at Comfort Inn Alamosa Fr $149+/Nt Expedia
- $103.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Alamosa Hotwire
- Holiday Inn Express Suites Alamosa in May: $182 & Up — $182 Expedia