Bird-watching in Great Sand Dunes National Park
The San Luis Valley is famous for its migratory birds, many of which make a stop in the park. Great Sand Dunes also has many permanent feathered residents. In the wetlands, you might see American white pelicans and the American avocet. On the forested sections of the mountains there are goshawks, northern harriers, gray jays, and Steller's jays. And in the alpine tundra there are golden eagles, hawks, horned larks, and white-tailed ptarmigan.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Alamosa Savings! Book at Comfort Inn Alamosa Fr $149+/Nt Expedia
- $76.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Alamosa Hotwire
- $53.00 & up : Full Size rentals in Alamosa Hotwire
- Holiday Inn Express Suites Alamosa in May: $182 & Up — $182 Expedia
- $50.00 & up : Midsize rentals in Alamosa — $50 Hotwire