Fort Garland Museum
Fort Garland Museum Review
Colorado's first military post was established here in 1858 to protect settlers in the San Luis Valley, which was then part of the Territory of New Mexico. The legendary Kit Carson once served here, and the six original adobe structures are still standing. The fort features a re-creation of the commandant's quarters from Carson's era, as well as period military displays, and a rotating local folk-art exhibit.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $76.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Alamosa Hotwire
- Book the Comfort Inn Alamosa 3 Nts in May Fr $149+/Nt Expedia
- Holiday Inn Express Suites Alamosa in May: $182 & Up — $182 Expedia
We took a trip West. Read more
Haven't posted here in awhile, but felt the need to repay the research I found on Fodor's for this trip!
I was searching for a spring break skiing destination for me & my 11 y.o. - needed sufficie Read more
Four of us are planning a backpacking trip in the Lost Creek Wilderness second week of June. Read more
· News & Features
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more