Rocky Mountain National Park Feature
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Base Camp: Grand Lake
The decision to stay in Grand Lake during a visit to Rocky Mountain National Park is based on a few considerations. It's a smaller resort than Estes Park. Since there are fewer travelers, getting around in a car is less time-consuming, and parking is rarely a problem. It's 2 mi from Grand Lake village to the RMNP entrance. The outdoor activities are more diverse than in Estes Park; the list includes water sports and lounging on Grand Lake's beach, mountain biking, and snowmobiling. Grand Lake village is also close to skiing and ice-fishing. Hiking in the Indian Peaks Wilderness and the Arapaho National Recreation Area is as close as the edge of town.
A hotel room averages about $100 per night, and a burger costs around $8. The Mountain Food Market at 400 Grand Avenue sells insect repellent, water, and snacks for hiking. The store is next to the stables on the right as you drive into Grand Lake village.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $140* & up -- Nationwide Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $135-$254 -- 4-Star Hotel Monaco Denver, Save 67% Expedia
- $49 -- 3-Star Denver Tech Center Hotel Hotwire.com
- $8.70 & up -- Car Rentals across Colorado CarRentals.com