South Central Colorado Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to South Central Colorado
Ride Up Pikes Peak: Katharine Bates wrote "America the Beautiful" after riding to the top of Pikes Peak. Today you can drive or ride the cog railway to the top for the same see-forever views.
Raft on the Arkansas: The Arkansas River is one of the most popular rivers for rafting and kayaking—from gentle floats to Class V rapids—in the United States.
Visit the U.S. Air Force Academy: Here you can learn more about the academy that trains future Air Force leaders and visit the stunning, nondenominational Cadet Chapel.
Hike a Fourteener: Coloradans collect hikes to the summit of Fourteeners—mountains that top 14,000 feet above sea level—like trophies.
Play on the Sand Dunes: At Great Sand Dunes, one of nature's most spectacular sandboxes, you'll feel like a kid again as you hike up a 750-foot dune then roll down the other side.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $8.70 & up -- Car Rentals across Colorado CarRentals.com