- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Grand Junction is where the mountains and desert meet at the confluence of the mighty Colorado and Gunnison rivers—a grand junction indeed. No matter which direction you look, there's an adventure waiting to happen. The city, with a population of approximately 42,000, is nestled between the picturesque Grand Mesa to the south and the towering Bookcliffs to the north. Surprisingly sophisticated, with a small-town flair, this city is a great base camp for a vacation—whether you're into art galleries, boutiques, hiking, horseback riding, rafting, mountain biking, or winery tours.
The Art on the Corner exhibit showcases leading regional sculptors, whose latest works are installed on the Main Street Mall. Passersby may find their faces reflected in an enormous chrome buffalo (titled Chrome on the Range) or, a few streets down, encounter an enormous cactus made entirely of rusted (but still prickly) chainsaw chains.
Grand Junction at a Glance
Elsewhere in Steamboat Springs and Northwest Colorado
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Small budget: Stay in Grand Junction this May Fr $106+/Nt Expedia
- Book in Grand Junction: Save this May Fr $112+/Nt Expedia
- $17.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Grand Junction Hotwire
- Acqua Salon & Spa Lodging Package: 2 Nts + Spa Vouchers — $875+ ResortsandLodes.com
- $16.95 & up : Compact rentals in Grand Junction — $17 Hotwire