- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
With a healthy college population and a generally mild climate, Durango is extremely bike friendly and a destination for single-track enthusiasts. Many locals consider bikes to be their main form of transportation. The bike lobby is active, the trail system is well developed, and mountain biking is a particularly popular recreational activity.
Iron Horse Bicycle Classic. Every Memorial Day weekend, the Iron Horse Bicycle Classic pits cyclists against the steam engine of the Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. The 47-mi course roughly parallels the tracks from Durango to Silverton (although the train actually follows a shorter, easier route). The event, one of the biggest bike races in the U.S., draws more than 2,000 competitors. College Ave. and Camino del Rio, Durango, CO. 970/259-4621. www.ironhorsebicycleclassic.com.
Get an overview of the scene at www.trails2000.org, home of the very active local advocacy trail group.
Mountain Bike Specialists. Although everybody in town seems to be an expert, the staff at this shop can rent you a bike, help arrange a tour, or just give you directions to the trail of your dreams. It also does expert repairs. 949 Main Ave., Durango, CO, 81301. 970/247-4066. www.mountainbikespecialists.com. Mon.-Sat. 9-5:30.
Animas River Trail. This 7-mi trail parallels the river from Animas City Park south to Dallabretta Park. It's the main artery, linking up with several of the town's other trail systems. Durango, CO.
Hermosa Creek Trail. This singletrack trail travels roughly 19 mi from Purgatory at Durango Mountain Resort to the town of Hermosa. It's an intermediate-to-difficult ride with a couple of steep spots and switchbacks along with mellow rolls through open meadows and towering aspen and pine forests. The trail hugs the steep riverbank at a few places and there are a few creek crossings, so you shouldn't try it too early in the season, while the snow is still melting (the water can be waist-high in the spring and early summer). Trailhead 2 mi from Purgatory's upper parking lots, Durango, CO, 81301.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Starting Fr $168: Great Durango Price Save with Hotels.com, $17/night less
- Save in Durango: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $249+/Nt Expedia
- $17.95 & up : Economy rentals in Durango Hotwire
- $161.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Durango — $161 Hotwire
- $18.95 & up : Compact rentals in Durango — $19 Hotwire