- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
San Juan National Forest. There are plenty of opportunities for climbing in the Columbine Ranger District of the San Juan National Forest, just outside of Durango. Some of the more popular spots are Julia's Spire, Golf Wall, and Fume Wall. 15 Burnett Ct., Durango, CO, 80301. 970/247-4874. www.fs.usda.gov/sanjuan.
Southwest Adventure Guides. For classes and guided trips in some of the area's most beautiful and challenging crags, talk to Southwest Adventure Guides. Courses run from March through November and cover the basics (beginning climbing techniques, belaying, and rappeling) as well as specifics such as rock rescue and desert crack climbing. Trips run from one to five days. 1111 Camino del Rio, Suite 105, Durango, CO, 81302. 970/259-0370. www.mtnguide.net.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $125.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Durango Hotwire
- Explore Durango For Less! Book Fr $177+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $60/night less
- $59.49 & up : Full Size rentals in Cortez Hotwire
- Book in Durango: Save at the Travelodge Durango in May Fr $88+/Nt — $88 Expedia
- $38.99 & up : Compact rentals in Cortez — $39 Hotwire