- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Tomboy Road, accessed directly from North Fir Street at the edge of town, leads to one of the country's most interesting mining districts. It went down in history in 1901 when the Western Federation of Miners organized a strike at Tomboy Mine. The state militia was eventually called in to put an end to the strike. The ruins of Tomboy Mine, Tomboy Mill, and parts of the town of Tomboy are all that remain of those turbulent times. The road has fabulous views of Bridal Veil Falls and passes through the Social Tunnel on its way to the high country. After 7.5 mi, the road crests over 13,114-foot-high Imogene Pass, the highest pass road in the San Juan Mountains. If you continue down the other side, you end up near Yankee Boy Basin near Ouray.
Dave's Mountain Tours. In summer, this outfit conducts tours to the Tomboy Mine site, Imogene Pass, and other historic and scenic areas. It also runs snowmobile tours in winter. Box 2736, Telluride, CO, 81435. 970/728-9749. www.telluridetours.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $82.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Montrose Hotwire
- Save in Montrose: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $77+/Nt Expedia
- $27.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Montrose Hotwire
- $159.00 & up : 4-star hotels in Telluride — $159 Hotwire
- $22.95 & up : Economy rentals in Montrose — $23 Hotwire