- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Holy Cross Wilderness Area. The Holy Cross Wilderness Area is southwest of Beaver Creek. Eagle Lake is a great trail for hikers who want to test their bodies at altitude without overdoing it. The trail starts at 9,100 feet (just slightly higher than Beaver Creek's base at 7,400 feet) and contours through a glacial valley for almost 2.5 mi around Woods Lake to Eagle Lake at 10,000 feet. Plan on a five-hour round-trip journey. You can continue up the valley to explore more lakes if you're feeling fit. Holy Cross Ranger District, White River National Forest, Beaver Creek, CO, 81631. 970/827-5715. www.fs.fed.us/r2/whiteriver/recreation/wilderness/holycross.
Beaver Creek Hiking Center. The Beaver Creek Hiking Center arranges everything from easy walks to difficult hikes. If you're traveling with kids, ask about educational programs. Beaver Creek Village, Beaver Creek, CO, 81620. 970/754-5373.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Stay Longer and Save!: Book the Sun Vail 3 Nts in May Fr $194+/Nt Save with Expedia, $175/night less
- Look no Further! Vail Hotels Fr $142+/Nt Travelocity
- $12.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Vail Hotwire
- Small budget: Stay in Vail this May Fr $309+/Nt — $309 Save with Expedia, $140/night less
- $14.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Vail — $15 Hotwire