- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
At a Glance
- classic alpine ambience
- incredible buffet breakfasts
- removed from lifts
- tough to regulate room temperature in winter
Fodor's FindsLowest Price Guarantee
Sonnenalp Resort Review
It's the sense of family tradition and European elegance that makes the Sonnenalp Resort the most romantic of all hotels in the faux-Tyrolean village of Vail. Four generations of the Fassler family have worked in the hotel business, and the Sonnenalp showcases their expertise not only in the Bavarian architecture and style (stucco walls hatched with wood beams and balconies with flower boxes) but also in the impeccable manners of everyone from front-desk receptionists to the waiters at Ludwig's. Room configurations vary from two-story suites to cozy rooms barely bigger than the overstuffed beds. The first-floor spa is set around an alcove fireplace, but the indoor heated pool flows outdoors and fronts a beautiful garden beside Gore Creek.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 3 Nts in Vail this May Fr $159+/Nt Save with Expedia, $70/night less
- Vail Savings! Book at Sonnenalp Fr $211+/Nt Expedia
- $12.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Vail Hotwire
- Vail Savings! Book at Marriott Vail Mountain & Spa Fr $203+/Nt — $203 Expedia
- $14.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Vail — $15 Hotwire
We took a trip West. Read more
Haven't posted here in awhile, but felt the need to repay the research I found on Fodor's for this trip!
I was searching for a spring break skiing destination for me & my 11 y.o. - needed sufficie Read more
Hello fellow travelers!
We are two women from Denmark, 33 and 36 years old, who are planning a trip to the US, but we could use a bit of help with some of the details.
A bit about us, and our travel preferences: Read more
· News & Features
Wine and beer treatments might be old hat in Europe, but from Chicago to Chile, New World spas are discovering... Read more
Snow bunny or not, there are ample reasons to spend a weekend or two in Vail, not least of which are the... Read more
Sometimes, a girl just needs to get away for the weekend for a little relaxation and rejuvenation.... Read more