Getting Here and Around
Getting Here and Around
Car Travel: The interstates are the quickest routes between many points in Connecticut, but they can be busy and ugly. From New York City head north on Interstate 95, which hugs the Connecticut shoreline into Rhode Island, or, to reach the Litchfield Hills and Hartford, head north on Interstate 684, then east on Interstate 84. From central New England, go south on Interstate 91, which bisects Interstate 84 in Hartford and Interstate 95 in New Haven. From Boston take Interstate 95 south through Providence or take the Massachusetts Turnpike west to Interstate 84. Interstate 395 runs north-south from southeastern Connecticut to Massachusetts.
Often faster because of less traffic, the historic Merritt Parkway (Route 15) winds between Greenwich and Middletown; U.S. 7 and Route 8, extending between Interstate 95 and the Litchfield Hills; Route 9, which heads south from Hartford through the Connecticut River valley to Old Saybrook; and scenic Route 169, which meanders through the Quiet Corner.
Air Travel: People visiting Connecticut from afar can fly into New York City, Boston, or Providence or smaller airports in or near Hartford and New Haven.
Bradley International Airport. North of Hartford, this airport is served by most major airlines and has direct flights from most major cities. 11 Schoephoester Rd., Windsor Locks, CT, 06096. 860/292-2000. www.bradleyairport.com/.
Tweed New Haven Airport. There are several flights per day on US Airways to Philadelphia from this regional airport. 155 Burr St., New Haven, CT, 06512. 203/466-8888. www.flytweed.com.
Amtrak. Amtrak runs from New York to Boston, stopping in Stamford, Bridgeport, and New Haven before heading north through Hartford and several other towns or east to Old Saybrook and Mystic. 800/872-7245. www.amtrak.com.
Metro-North Railroad. Metro-North Railroad trains from New York stop locally between Greenwich and New Haven, and a few head inland to New Canaan, Danbury, and Waterbury. 877/690-5114. www.mta.info.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1149* -- Auckland RT Air w/Free 2-Night Hawaii Stopover PacificIslands.com
- $59-$84 -- New Orleans Historic Mansion near French Quarter BookIt.com
- $89-$112 -- New Orleans French Quarter Hotel w/Drinks BookIt.com
- $675 & up -- Sheraton Kauai: 3-Nt. Vacation w/Car Rental Pleasant Holidays
- $599 & up -- Oceanview: Alaska 7-Night Summer Cruises American Express Travel