- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Chef Frank Ruta and pastry chef Ann Amernick met while working in the White House kitchens. At their contemporary American restaurant the French- and Italian-influenced menu changes seasonally. Among the can't-miss presentations are chestnut ravioli with shiitake mushrooms, raw diver scallops with creme fraiche, and roasted venison with quince. Comforting desserts such as a tangy German apple cake or a chocolate torte are a perfect match for the earthy cooking. Four- or six-course tasting menus are available. Reservations are not accepted for the equally fabulous café, where the inexpensive menu includes a cheeseburger with truffles, foie-gras terrine, and an extravagant platter of fries, onion rings, and paper-thin fried Meyer lemon slices.
- Address: 3529 Connecticut Ave. NW, Cleveland Park, Washington, DC, 20008 | Map It
- Phone: 202/537-9250
- Website: www.palenarestaurant.com
- Metro Cleveland Park.
- Location: Upper Northwest
- Reservations essential.
- Restaurant closed Sun. and Mon. No lunch (except in café, weekends only).
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $169 & up -- 4.5-Star Loews Madison Hotel D.C., Save 40% Expedia
- $79 -- Capitol Hill Hotel near Historic Sites, Reg. $452 BookIt.com
- $18 & up -- Baltimore: Admission to 9 Museums, up to 25% Off Featured Destination: Baltimore
- $87 & up -- D.C. Hotel w/Wi-Fi & Daily Breakfast, 60% Off — $87 BookIt.com
- Free -- Zip Around Baltimore: 4 Popular Routes — $0 Charm City Circulator
Thanks in advance to all the people here who helped in the planning of this - both last year and this year! Read more
Thursday, April 11 my husband, 5 and 8 year old children and I traveled to Washington D.C. for usual sight-seeing and cherry blossoms. We used taxis often which in the planning stage worried me because Read more
So we went to DC for spring break. Read more
· News & Features
Psst...want to know where to really find the best eats in (and around) DC? We've got the goods for you ... Read more
From a hidden drum circle in Washington DC to awesome sushi in Chicago's Ukrainian neighborhood, we've... Read more
Come springtime, Washington DC's draw is its gorgeous cherry blossoms.... Read more