- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
White House Area with Kids
Touring the White House is as much of a thrill for kids as it is for adults. If you didn't plan your visit in advance, you can still get a look at White House life at the White House Visitor Center, where videos and photos capture first families. Unlike the actual White House, kids can roam around here and sit on the furniture.
At the Daughters of the American Revolution Museum kids five to seven can discover what life was like as a colonial child when they take part in the Colonial Adventure program.
In summer, give kids a break from touring the monuments with an afternoon boat ride on the Tidal Basin. If you're feeling a bit more intrepid, you can rent canoes from Thompson's Boat Center and paddle along the Potomac.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $169 & up -- 4.5-Star Loews Madison Hotel D.C., Save 40% Expedia
- $79 -- Capitol Hill Hotel near Historic Sites, Reg. $452 BookIt.com
- $18 & up -- Baltimore: Admission to 9 Museums, up to 25% Off Featured Destination: Baltimore
- $87 & up -- D.C. Hotel w/Wi-Fi & Daily Breakfast, 60% Off — $87 BookIt.com
- Free -- Zip Around Baltimore: 4 Popular Routes — $0 Charm City Circulator